Professional Writing Minor Application for 2022-2023
Application status for the 2022-2023 academic year:
Application decisions have been made. Thank you to those who applied!
Link to the Application Form (Currently Closed)
Please note that it is highly recommended that you complete this application form while logged in to your UCSB Google Account (via your UCSB gmail address)!
Please be sure to include all of the information requested on the form, including the cover letter, resume, an assessement of writing samples, and the three writing samples themselves. When possible, we recommend students compile documents into a single PDF file. You can compile PDFs with this free program.
Students interested in the Professional Writing Minor submit an application in the fall quarter of their senior year. Because the Minor has limited space and the application process is competitive, students should put together the application with care. Interested students should also make an appointment with the Writing Program Undergraduate Advisor, Audrey Youngblood, to discuss scheduling and academic eligibility.
If you have any additional questions, please email the director of your desired track:
- Civic Engagement: Patrick McHugh, email@example.com
- Business Communication: Gina Genova firstname.lastname@example.org
- Multimedia Communication: Madeleine Sorapure, email@example.com
- Professional Editing: Craig Cotich, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Science Communication: Amanda Stansell, email@example.com
- Journalism: Nomi Morris, firstname.lastname@example.org
Application Requirements for All Tracks:
- Complete application on this google form;
- A Cover letter, one to two pages, including the following information: 1) What are your professional goals? 2) What skills do you hope to develop in the Professional Writing Minor? 3) What tracks do you feel would help you develop these skills and why? For more info on professional cover letters go to https://career.ucsb.edu/get-hired/cover-letters;
- Track preferences (ranked).
- An assessment of Writing Samples: Write one short reflection (250-300 words) that explains all of your writing samples: 1) the context of each writing sample, 2) which skills are showcased in these writing samples, 3) what skills you still hope to improve upon in the minor and
- the Three Writing Samples (which can include relevant media/design projects when appropriate) themselves.
- Please ensure that all materials are properly submitted on the application form. Please complile documents into a single PDF file. You can complile PDFs with this free program.
All three writing samples combined should not exceed 15-20 pages total and should consist of work selected from a range of projects created for both class and non-academic work settings (i.e. jobs, internships, volunteer work, student organizations, etc.). Portions or excerpts of larger projects and electronic documents such as websites or PowerPoint slides are acceptable and recommended. Academic essays are acceptable for all tracks except Business Communication and Journalism.
Email Audrey Youngblood at email@example.com.