The deadline for applications for 2018-19 is Monday, June 25.
How to Apply
Applicants should work with a Writing Program faculty mentor to develop a project proposal. If you're looking for a faculty mentor for a specific project, consult the Faculty Projects page and the Faculty page of this website and/or write to Madeleine Sorapure (email@example.com) for suggestions. The proposal you submit should be one to two pages and should include the following:
- A project title and the name of the faculty mentor (the faculty mentor will be contacted to ensure his or her availability for the project)
- An overview of the project, including a description of what you ultimately intend to accomplish by the end of the year and present at the year-end showcase
- A statement of what you hope to gain from your project, including its significance to the broader goals of your undergraduate education
- A timeline indicating how you will organize your work on the project
- A description of possible expenses: what costs do you anticipate? How will you cover expenses beyond the $750 limit?
Email the proposal as a PDF attachment to firstname.lastname@example.org by Monday, June 25, 2018.
Review and Notification
Applications will be reviewed in early summer by a committee of Writing Program faculty. Applications will be judged on their overall quality, academic and/or personal significance for the student, potential contribution to the Writing Program and UCSB community, and likelihood of completion. We anticipate accepting approximately 20 Raab Writing Fellows in 2018-19. Applicants will be notified of the decision in mid-summer.
In 2018-19, Raab Writing Fellows will be asked to enroll in a four-unit, P/NP course spread out over Fall, Winter, and Spring quarters. The course--Writing 120, taught by Ljiljana Coklin--will provide information, workshops, guest speakers, and other resources that will be helpful as students pursue their research during the year. Students accepted into the RWF program will be given add codes for the course.
Questions? Write to email@example.com.