Jane Austenís Pride and Prejudice
and Emma; Midterm Review
- Jane Austen (1775-1817): Romantic Novelist or Romance
- Romantic Era Writing and Women
- Jane Austenís Quiet Life
- The Novels
- Universal Truth: Pride and Prejudice
- A Novel With a Thesis: Didactic Narrative
- The Problem with Mothers
- Courtship Rituals
- Modern Equivalents?
- Donít You Have a Mother?: Emma
- Who Needs Trouble?
- Is Emma Clueless?
- Practical Advice for the Midterm
- Procedures for Study
- Read what you havenít read; re-read what you didnít
- Read and re-read your notes.
- Establish your competence in key areas.†
- Fill in the blanks if you have time.
- Structure your studying with notes and outlines of
- Fulfilling the Objectives
- The Major Concepts
- Self-consciousness and Individual Rights
- Transcendence, Nature, and the Aesthetic