English 103B—Lecture 1
The Late Enlightenment and the Origins
of British Romanticism
- The Course: British Literature from 1789 to 1900.
- The Point of a Survey Course
- Course Objectives
- Course Requirements
- Two Essays, in proper MLA style.
- A Midterm and a Final.
- Attendance and Participation.
- Your Professor and the TAs
- The Age of Reason? René Descartes (1596-1650) and Thomas
- The Unreasonable Past
- British Social and Economic Conditions, Reasonable and
- British Political Theory and British Empricism: John
- The Other Side of the Channel: French Social and Economic
- What is Romanticism?
- From Religion and Politics to Poetry and Art
- The Importance of Romanticism